OCN/ATM S/ESS 475
Integrative Capstone Experience, required for students in the Climate Minor.
The climate change senior seminar is designed to integrate the different courses that are part of the climate science minor. Therefore it is expected you will have completed one of the three core climate science minor courses (ESS 201, ATMS 211 or ATMS 321) as well as one elective in each of the focus areas (Past Climate, Physical Climate, and Chemistry & Biology).
Students in the climate change integrative seminar will:
• Read, evaluate, and synthesize information from primary literature in the field of climate science
• Integrate information from a range of methodological approaches to climate science
• Present scientific ideas arguing from evidence
• Speculate on meanings of scientific data, possible future directions and societal implications
• Communicate their ideas precisely in both oral and written format
• Translate those ideas for a general audience.
This course is offered in conjunction with the OCEAN/ATM S/ESS 586 graduate seminar and this year the focus of the seminar is climate variability and uncertainty. Both undergraduate and graduate students will attend presentations by UW and non-UW climate scientists in this co-listed course.